Sue's Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Finally, a fun to read essay about something i know a little something, something about. Ebay! I love Ebay...why? Because i have lots of junk, and as we all know someone's junk is someone else's treasure. I still have my original Nintendo and Sega genesis which i plan on unloading before i move, where will i do it? Ebay! I've been Ebaying on and off for years, mostly when i need to get some fundage. I've bought countless DVD's and CD's, and even my gaming PC on EBay. The PC was a very iffy transaction for me because i had never really spent more than $40 on an auction...my machine cost me $300...it had everything i needed except the Radeon graphics card i wanted (got that on ebay too $100). The company i was buying it from was new, and their ratings were quite low, but they were good. It was an act of faith, and i was biting my nails the entire time. My machine came and it was great! I still have it and loooooooove it!

Ratings are survival on Ebay. As Netgrrl and Chiccoboy said in their essay...Ebay changed the way we shop. I always check ratings before i buy something, and if i find an auction that is cheaper, i'll often pass it up if the ratings are less than 90%. I think most people are like that, which is why the ratings are so important. I'll admit, I'm a late rater...i do it once every few months, and like in the essay, I often recieve emails asking to rate my transaction (amazon also picked up this practice with their marketplace). Ratings can seriously determine whether or not you make a sale, and how much you get for it. The higher your rating, you become more established...it's like buying a computer from a mom and pop shop, or Bestbuy. At bestBuy you know you can bring it back, the reputation is very established, whereas who knows with a mom and pop shop. In a way, this rating system has become our way of communicating to one another whether or not something is legit.

But what happens when an auction goes wrong? Ebay has taken great pains to make sure that their clients are covered as the essay stated, but unfortunatly the less money you spend, the less covered you are. I once won an auction for a DVD (i can't remember what movie), I paid my money promptly and recived nothing. i waited two weeks and started emailing the seller, but he had changed his email and cancelled his Ebay account. I filed claims on Ebay and Paypal...but there was little they would do...the guy just disappeared. Grant it, the transaction was only $12, but still...that's almost a dinner at Arrirang (yum!). Self Plug: I have 207 feedbacks, and my rating is 100%...go me!

With Ebay, also came sniping. I don't know about you, but i was getting sick of putting in my bid like an ordinary person and losing it at the last seconds of the auction. I was losing ALL THE TIME! I found myself upping my max bid just to win, because i needed to win! it wasn't about the product, it was about the win! So i honed my sniping skills. Around the time the auction ends, I will refresh the screen repeatedly, or carefully time my trips back to the computer and enter my bid within 30 seconds. I'll enter the max bid i'm willing to pay to make sure i'll win it (some people only do $1 increments, but i'll go full price to guarentee the win)...if i remember to be home at that particular time, i always win :) I haven't used any of the software like Esnipe, or the text messaging one, because that sort of takes the sport out of it, but hey!

You also learn who the best dealers are...i found one that sells VIctoria Secret returns for less than half price...current catalog dresses and clothing at more than half off, you can't beat that! You just have to know the product, and how to find it. In that way, Ebay has also changed the way we shop...why pay full price if you can find it on EBay? I'll always check ebay before i buy in a store to see if i can save some funds.

While some things are less expensive, other things are exploited to hell by crafty ebayers. This is another example of how ebay has changed the way you shop. You really have to be wary, and know what something is worth. Take for example: The Victoria's Secret PJ bottoms $28.50...notice the price. A crafty ebayer posts a pic of Jessica simpson wearing the same exact pants, and how they're sold out at VS (false!) and whamo..$35.00. An unsuspecting buyer thinks they're getting a great deal, but they're getting ripped. So it's important to read between the lines, and really know what you're going for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home